People march against proposed new Telangana secretariat

Read Time: 2 minutes

KCR hardly visits secretariat as a Chief minister. People even wonder if he does his work during normal office hours or during late nights when he is drunk and take all these weird decisions.

Hundreds of citizens in Hyderabad and Secunderabad took to the streets on Sunday, to protest against the Telangana government’s move of constructing a new Secretariat at the premises of the Bison Polo Ground.

Carrying posters and banners against the move, protestors gathered at the Parade Ground gate on the Tivoli theatre road and marched to Bison Polo Ground.

Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao has been considering the land in Gymkhana Ground and Bison Polo Grounds, for constructing a ‘vastu-compliant’ Secretariat, Legislature and a cultural centre on the premises.

However, protesters claim that the move would kill a crucial lung space in Secunderabad.

Speaking at the Sunday event, M Krishank, an activist and Telangana Congress spokesperson, said, “Citizens from all walks of life voluntarily came and participated in the protest. There were estimated to be more than 400 people. We ordered 300 green T-shirts for the protest, and we did not have a single piece remaining by the end of it.”

Highlighting that the citizens had gathered for the united purpose, Krishank added, “It was a very peaceful walk. We started at Parade Ground and ended at Bison Polo Ground, where a signature campaign was undertaken.”

Protesters also took a pledge. Several prominent personalities also participated in the event.

Some of those present were Telangana Joint Action Committee Chairman M Kodandaram, TDP MLA Revanth Reddy, former union minister Sarve Satyanarayana.

“However, they all came in their personal capacity as citizens, and keeping in tune of the protest, they all gave short solidarity speeches,” Krishank said.

“There was also a discussion about how the present Secretariat building is in a perfectly fine condition, and there was no need for a new one on the ground,” he added.

“We will continue the campaign, and continue to protest until the Chief Minister takes back his decision,” Krishank said.

An online petition on the issue has also been started by Krishank on Change.org, which has over 3,000 supporters at the time of writing.

This march comes less than a month after ex-DGP MV Bhaskara Rao, former cricketer Vivek Jaisimha, war veteran and squadron leader Anil Bhalla and chartered accountant Turlapati Bharadwaj moved the Hyderabad High Court to protect the ground, considering its historical importance.

Meanwhile, the protests seem to be falling on deaf ears.

Earlier in the month, a blueprint of the proposed new Secretariat building was also released.

The building was designed by renowned architecture firm Hafeez Contractor.

KCR himself has remained adamant on constructing the new Secretariat, telling critics that they could “go to hell.”

Google Ads

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*