Consumption of ganja has touched alarming levels in Nalgonda, say localities, with sale of the contraband shooting up to half a tonne every day from 100 kg per day three years ago.
“All the ganja being smuggled into the town is not meant to be consumed in the city. Some of it is being diverted to other towns in Telangana,” sources said.
Smugglers carry small quantities like 5 kg to 15 kg as it is convenient to carry and hand it over to clients. One gram of good quality ganja will cost Rs 200 to Rs 500 depending on the area and demand. ‘Kirana’ stores (Retail) started selling weed. Many students are allegedly procuring it.
SHORT-TERM EFFECTS OF WEED
- Short-term memory problems
- Severe anxiety, including fear that one is being watched or followed (paranoia)
- Very strange behavior, seeing, hearing or smelling things that aren’t there, not being able to tell imagination from reality (psychosis)
- Loss of sense of personal identity
- Lowered reaction time
- Increased heart rate (risk of heart attack)
- Increased risk of stroke
- Problems with coordination (impairing safe driving or playing sports)
- Sexual problems (for males)
- Up to seven times more likely to contract sexually transmitted infections
than non-users (for females)
LONG-TERM EFFECTS OF WEED
- Decline in IQ (up to 8 points if prolonged use started in adolescent age)
- Poor school performance and higher chance of dropping out
- Impaired thinking and ability to learn and perform complex tasks
- Lower life satisfaction
- Addiction (about 9% of adults and 17% of people who started smoking as teens)
- Potential development of opiate abuse
- Relationship problems, intimate partner violence
- Antisocial behavior including stealing money or lying